Environmental Sustainability Policy
Approved June 2008
The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute is committed to reducing the environmental impact of its activities, preventing pollution and promoting the sustainability of the natural resources upon which we depend, while providing quality programmes that meet the needs of our scholars.
The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute is committed to the continuous improvement of our environmental performance and to meeting or exceeding the requirements of all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
This policy is intended to govern the decisions and actions of the Institute’s officers, directors, members, employees, committee members, scholars and other beneficiaries.
- To adopt, wherever practicable, methods of living and working which reduce the impact on the earth’s biophysical systems, mindful of the potentially disastrous results for us all if the resilience of these systems is exceeded.
- To cooperate, where possible, with the wider community, in order to implement environmental policies from the local community through to the global level.
- To contribute to the development of knowledge and experience in Canada and India or anywhere else on undertaking environmentally sustainable forms of development.
- To promote education and awareness in Canada and India or anywhere else of the importance of environmentally sustainable approaches to development.
- To encourage and support Canadian and Indian member institutions to develop policies, programmes and projects that further the objectives of environmental sustainability.
The promotion of environmental sustainability is an integral part of all Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute policies, programmes and projects.
- Manage and conserve energy and water efficiently
- Incorporate the natural environment
- Increase recycling of supplies and materials
- Minimize negative impacts
- Raise environmental awareness
- Minimize use of non-renewable resources
- Reduce energy use
In Ancient Footsteps